20.10.15

Turn on the TV, open your mind: BBC's 'The Go-Between'

Last week, I was having the usual cosy Sunday night in wrapped in my dressing gown, scanning through my sky planner for something to watch. I then remembered the new BBC adaptation of L.P Hartley's 'The Go Between' was on in an hour. So, of course I did what we all do when we find a program we actually want to pay attention to - I excitedly got myself a cuppa and snuggled up on the sofa impatiently waiting for it to begin. 

I had never read the book or seen the older 1970 Joseph Losey adaptation, so I had a fresh new outlook on this beautiful new film, with no preconceptions. It's safe to say I was hooked from beginning to end, everything about it was exceptional. It was so beautifully adapted and filmed, the camera work was amazing and intensified the emotion of the film, so much so I was in floods of tears by the end!

When it finished, I kind of hated myself for watching it because I always read books before films - never usually is it in reverse order. Saying this though, I couldn't not buy the book now after watching it. In fact, I browsed Amazon straight after it finished, finding the cutest and quirkiest little vintage edition and immediately abusing the 'pay now' button.

Yes, yes this post really highlights my inner geek, my true book-worm self. But come on - we all love a pretty lookin' book don't we? I know I'm not alone in feeling that excited feeling of a new-book delivery. Quite frankly, it's great knowing I don't have to highlight and scroll my horrible penmanship all over the pages in preparation for an essay. The uni days are done and dusted now and so I can finally read books for pleasure. I no longer have a hefty reading list of dauntingly-long novels from across the ages weighing me down. Although I do miss uni heaps and heaps, the freedom of being able to read what I want (and at my own leisure) is bloody wonderful and probably something only English Literature students will fully understand. 

I am getting stuck into the book now and although it's a slow start, I am already loving it. I will keep you all posted on my final thoughts when I reach the end. I do strongly advise any one to watch the BBC adaptation because it really is wonderful and it's not often something on TV grabs my attention the way 'The Go Between' did! 

Check it out here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06cwkf5/the-gobetween and don't be afraid to leave me a comment on what you thought of it!

Katie x

2 comments

  1. I watched this katie!! so good I loved it.. and i also wish i got chance to read the book before xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fab isn't it, very Atonement-like. But yeah I wish I had read the book first but the adaptation was equally as good! Xx

      Delete