2.11.15

Let's tallk about fashion




Recently, I stumbled across a tall dress from ASOS which pushed me to write this post. Like every girl with an ASOS account, I was tempted by the sale email I received on my phone and decided it was time to have a browse (after all, pay day had just blessed my bank account). In nearly every clothing shop, the items I try on hang closer to my waist than my legs. Even though ASOS is online, I am familiar with their length-less clothing, but they do sell some wonderful pieces. Anyways, being 5'11, it is always a joy to see the 'tall section' logo pop up.

The tall section for a girl of my height, is a beam of light at the end of a very dark (and hopeless) tunnel. Luckily, I found a dress that looked chic, cheap and cheerful...finally! I couldn't resist really because the item I found also belonged to the 70% off SALE section! For a split second my eyes lit up, that was until I hit the play button on the catwalk video. My excitement wavered and the disappointment, as usual, returned - the dress on my screen honestly would look short on someone who's 5'6, let alone a girl of my height. How it could even be classed as tall is quite frankly, beyond me.

Unfortunately, this shopping conundrum is a reoccurring situation I find myself in. People are probably sick and tired of hearing my moans about being tall. But if more people were my BFG height, they would understand how frustrating it is to find clothes that fit (or look remotely respectable). Only the other day my sister said to me in the Urban Outfitters changing room: 'Kates that dress looks beaut on you...but it is quite short'. I told her that if I lived my shopping life with that mindset, I would not own a single item of clothing (unless it was a midi dress - which would still probably look tiny on me). So, is it such a surprise that I don't want a dress that's going to reveal my backside when I bend down? Why should I have to spend money on clothes that don't fit me in the first place?


I read a compelling article by Elle magazine a couple of months ago which really outlined the struggle tall girls face when shopping. It made me giggle because they described the tall section in shops as being like an unknown land, hidden or shoved into the corner of a fashion store. It was so correct and so relatable, only the other day I was in Topshop and there were signs everywhere boasting the 'petite' section. The same could not be said for the tall section, which took me about ten minutes to find and had a mere eight items of clothing to choose from. Out of these eight items, about two of them were wearable, both in terms of length and actually being fashionable / not plain and drab.

In a separate Topshop store I went to the counter to ask where the tall section was. The sales assistant told me: 'Oh I think we've got rid of it, except the jeans' - well that just says it all. In the end the lady did find a (small) tall section with around four items in it. The clothes had been moved from upstairs and by the sounds of it, were due to be discontinued in this particular store. You would think tall girls were a rare animal species that are going extinct! Unfortunately, I had to fake a smile and thank the shop assistant. No, it is not her fault, but I can't say I was happy to find four items in the whole of the store that were going to fit me...

What baffles me the most is that the fashion industry crave tall, slender models and even deny models who are below 5'8/9. So, why is it clothes are not tailored for a tall frame, when they are modeled by an above average height? It is most often the 6ft models that prance down the catwalk,  showcasing the latest fashion pieces. Yet, a small minority of clothes on the high street, online and by top designers, actually fit tall girls in terms of length. To me this makes NO sense!

Yes I have long legs, in fact I look like Mike Teavee's character at the end of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (I'm talking about the strangely stretched dude obsessed with TV). People constantly say 'wow your tall' - woah reaaaally?? 'You should embrace it' they say, well I'm trying to... but fashion retailers are evidently making this very hard for me! To be honest though, I'm growing to like (not love, I'm not quite there yet) being tall more and more over the years because I feel much more comfortable in my own skin. 

When I was a teenager, I HATED being tall. I used to hunch over because I wanted to be the same height as my friends, I would even crouch down to 'fit in' and go unnoticed. Despite my best hunching efforts, I stuck out like a sore thumb because my friends were teeny and I was (in my eyes) gigantic. Even with their heels on, my friends and I looked ridiculous stood next to each other.

I was also super skinny when I was younger - like all bones and no flesh kind of skinny which, yep you've guessed it, I also hated. I used to hope and pray I would put on weight because I didn't appreciate my body and the skinnier I was, the lankier I looked and the more attention this drew to how stupidly tall I was. I just kept growing and growing like a bean sprout, and everyone else seemed to stay the same or reach a normal height. When everyone had the joy of glamming it up in heels on nights out, I had to play it cool in flats and deal with it because me... in heels? No way. Plus, finding smallish heels for my size 8 feet was far too much effort on a leisurely shopping trip. 

Yes shoe shopping is a nightmare, I mean what 5'11 girl do you know with small feet? And as I've discussed, clothes shopping is the bane of my life because it never seems to get any easier, so I am forever stuck in a vicious circle. But, I've got to remember, I would probably be a blob if I was smaller because I love food too much and eat a lot of it without putting a great deal of weight on. So, I am lucky in that sense. Plus, on the flip side, a lot of people are in the opposite position to me - they are small and wish they were taller. But regardless of all of this, I still think the fashion industry have a long way to go in terms of making tall ladies' shopping experiences more enjoyable. They need to remember that although models might work short garments on the runway, us normal ladies in the 5"8 and above club really struggle to find well-fitted clothes that we feel comfortable bending down in. 

Are you a tallie who feels the same way? Or are you a smallie, who faces similar petite problems? Let me know in the comments below!


Katie x


Post a Comment